Monthly Archives: July 2019

Judd takes a back seat as Carlton embraces new era

Chris Judd’s time as an AFL captain has come to an end.HAVING stood down as captain, Chris Judd has revealed the Blues have adopted a more cautious approach to training under new coach Mick Malthouse.
Shanghai night field

Judd, 29, has ended months of speculation by confirming his five years in the top role are over, with him preferring to focus more on his own performance without the added off-field commitments.

The Blues have only recently returned to training at Visy Park after their high-altitude camp in Arizona. Judd noted there was a greater focus on avoiding injuries after a year in which physical setbacks took their toll on the club.

Judd said he and his teammates had embraced Malthouse’s training regime. ”They have taken to the work, training has changed up quite a lot, and so far, so good. We have a lot of numbers on the park,” he said.

The 239-game veteran required shoulder surgery over Christmas last year although former coach Brett Ratten said at the time it was unclear whether Judd had been hurt at training. Ratten also said he had taken a cautious approach with the teams ”A-graders”.

Judd said on Monday that there had been a change in terms of how teammates dealt with each other.

”There has been a really big focus on certainly minimising injuries at training, which is something that we suffered quite a lot in the last couple of years,” he said. ”To see those numbers out on the park is great. I think that will hold us in great stead at the start of the season.”

Judd became captain after joining the Blues from West Coast in late 2007 and said the time was right for change, he having helped to transform a list he felt was ”probably a pretty unprofessional playing group that lacked discipline”.

His future as skipper had been questioned since Malthouse replaced Brett Ratten, with the new coach making it clear even in his 2012 season preview when working as a media commentator that he thought there was too much focus on the dual Brownlow medallist.

There were other instances through the season when he suggested it would be best if Judd was not captain. Judd’s manager, Paul Connors, said the decision had been the player’s alone.

While Judd will continue to lead by example he will not have a role in the leadership group. ”I decided some time ago to step away from a leadership role at the footy club,” Judd said.

”I have been in the leadership group all but my first year of footy, so I have had 10 years in there. I think at my stage of the career I am looking forward to getting back to enjoying the essence of footy and competing and probably not having as much responsibility around the club.

”So, I won’t be pushing any less hard to bring success to this club and will still have an active role around the place.”

Marc Murphy, praised for his leadership last season when Judd was suspended, and fellow onballers Andrew Carrazzo and Kade Simpson are the front-runners to replace the skipper.

The Blues are unlikely to name a replacement until February.

”I guess one of the things as a leader is you want to leave the place in a better place than what you inherited it in,” Judd said. ”Without any disrespect to what things were like five years ago, there weren’t a whole host of players who made obvious leaders as far as that went.

”To be able to step aside from the role and have probably three guys that could step in to the role as captain and do a really good job, and even to mention some of the guys that probably won’t be in the leadership group this year, I think it shows our leadership stocks have come a long way.”

The original release of this article first appeared on the website of Shanghai Night Net. Read more »

杭州龙凤

DJs break their silence

RELATED:Austereo reply to hospital rebuke
Shanghai night field

2Day FM radio hosts Mel Greig and Michael Christian are “pretty shattered people” according to Channel Nine’sA Current Affairhost Tracy Grimshaw who has prerecorded an interview with the pair to go to air tonight.

Grimshaw toldFairfax Mediathis afternoon that the prerecorded interview was “very intense” with a lot of people in the room including radio station staff and supporters.

The pair, who have been facing global condemnation after the death of a British nurse targeted in a prank phone call, broke their silence on Monday afternoon in a pair of interviews with Grimshaw and Seven’s Clare Brady fromToday Tonight.

Grimshaw said she felt sympathy for the pair.

“They’re at a certain point on the food chain. There are other people who made the decision to put it to air, it wasn’t live to air, there was a decision made after that prank call was recorded to put it to air, and virtually all the focus has been on them,” Ms Grimshaw said.

“So I have some sympathy for them in that regard.”

Grimshaw said she was mindful that anyone in their situation would be fragile and the interview was a chance for the hosts to say what they wanted to say.

“What has happened with this poor nurse in England is not going to be helped by bullying these two people into some sort of breakdown. I was very mindful that anyone in their situation would be fragile, and very mindful of not becoming part of the problem.

“We talked about the process of the prank call, how it came about, what happens after you record something like that, where are the checks and balances, what is the network’s policy on prank calls, where do you draw the line.

“We talked about their future and we talked about whether prank calls should be banned.”

Immediately after Grimshaw’s interview concluded, Nine’s official Twitter account announced: “First interview with the #2dayfm djs just recorded with @TracyGrimshaw. It’s raw & emotional. The full uncut interview at 6.30 tonight #aca9.”

After the interview, Brady and a crew fromToday Tonightmoved in to the studio, to again give the DJs their chance to speak.

Grimshaw sent a message from her Twitter account saying: “Let me say clearly that our interview with the 2Day FM hosts for tonight’sA Current Affairwas NOT paid for. Neither asked nor offered.”

‘A deeply tragic, unforeseen circumstance’

The boss of 2Day FM said on Monday morning that staff from the station had tried at least five times to contact those involved in the prank call.

The station, along with Christian and Greig, are under fire after nurse Jacintha Saldanha died in an apparent suicide after the call gained worldwide notoriety.

The pair had claimed to be Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles, and asked after the condition of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, who was in the King Edward VII hospital suffering from an acute form of morning sickness.

Mrs Saldanha put the call through to the London hospital ward of the recovering Duchess of Cambridge.

Rhys Holleran, chief executive of 2Day FM’s parent company Austereo, reiterated on Monday that what had occurred was “a deeply tragic, unforseen circumstance” but that he was satisfied that the appropriate checks were conducted before the pre-recorded segment was broadcast.

“It is absolutely true to say that we actually did attempt to contact those people on multiple occasions. We rang them up to discuss what we had recorded. We attempted to contact them on no less than five occasions. We did want to speak to them about it,” he told Melbourne radio station 3AW.

Later, he said: “The day prior [to Mrs Saldahna’s death], people took it as a harmless prank in good humour.”

Greig and Christian’s program has been suspended and advertising on the station has been suspended until Wednesday. The station has not yet said when, or if, the presenters will return to the airwaves.

All Austereo staff were called to a meeting on Monday at 9am; employees have been gagged from speaking publicly without permission.

Mr Holleran’s comments come as online vigilante group Anonymous is believed to have threatened the broadcaster in light of Mrs Saldanha’s death.

Using a new account on YouTube with the group’s branding, a person wearing a mask similar to that used by Anonymous members said 2Day FM was “directly responsible” for Mrs Saldanha’s death.

The video, uploaded from an account named An-onym Oz, purports to be from Anonymous but contains a spelling error in its opening titles. ‘‘Hello citizens of the world, we are Anonyomous,’’ it reads.

“We have listened to your excuses. We have heard the word ’prank’ a million times,” the person in the video says, in a digitally altered voice.

“We have studied the facts and found you guilty of murder. You have placed yourself in an untenable position. You have placed your advertisers at risk – their databases, their websites, their online advertising.

“We are Anonymous and hereby demand you terminate the contracts of Mel Greig and Michael Christian. We will not listen to any more excuses. We will not let you escape your responsibility. You have a funeral to pay for. We are Anonymous. We are legion. We are amongst you. Expect us. This is not a prank call; this is no laughing matter. This is your one and only chance to make amends. You have one week to do so.”

In Australia, New South Wales police are now helping Scotland Yard with its investigation into Mrs Saldanha’s death.

Mr Holleran said on Monday that he had not spoken to police “at this point in time”.

He said he did not believe any Australian Communications and Media Authority codes governing radio broadcasts had been breached or that the station’s licence was in jeopardy.

He said the company was happy to discuss the issue with any investigators.

Mel Greig and Michael Christian.

Jacintha Saldanha.

“I’m sure that in the time ahead, there will be questions, and we’re happy to participate in that process, of course we are,” Mr Holleran said.

“We have said we won’t be running that style of call until we do [investigate] … this isn’t a witch-hunt and I don’t intend for it to be that way.

“If it’s appropriate to make changes, we will make changes, make no mistake about that.”

He would not comment on how much the fallout was costing the station financially and rejected suggestions of cultural problems at the station in light of repeated scandals, largely ignited by host Kyle Sandilands.

* Support is available for anyone who may be distressed by calling Lifeline 131 114, Mensline 1300 789 978, Kids Helpline 1800 551 800.

SMH

Read more »

杭州龙凤

Weaving quits over film festival’s ‘lack of vision’

Canberra’s International Film Festival has lost its Artistic Director with Simon Weaving walking away from the organisation, saying he was unhappy with its strategic direction.
Shanghai night field

Mr Weaving, who leaves the festival after four years in the Artistic Director’s job, says he will now set up a screen culture organisation for Canberra that will operate all year round.

Speaking from the NSW south coast on Tuesday, Mr Weaving said that he was proud of the festival’s achievements but he wanted it to be an institution rather than an event and that others in the organisation did not share his vision.

“There are a lot of smaller groups and organisations that are doing stuff on the delivery or the content side of thing so I saw a huge opportunity for the festival organisation to become more than just an event, more than something that happens once a year, that pops and then packs down,” he said

“I felt very strongly that there was an opportunity to establish a more permanent organisation, work with other people and other groups and start delivering programs and engaging with the community all year round.

“For me, the Festival organisation had reached a stage where it was financially sound and the environment was right, but not everyone shared that vision.”

Mr Weaving said he had grown frustrated with the “lack of vision” for the festival.

“All organisations need a strategic plan of where it’s going to be and the organisation has no strategic plan, it just sort of goes from year to year,” he said.

“For me, I’d just become increasingly uncomfortable about the lack of vision.”

The original release of this article first appeared on the website of Shanghai Night Net. Read more »

杭州龙凤

Selling before auction hots up as year ends

7 Lawson Street, Balmain, now the former home of 2GB radio presenter Chris Smith and his wife Ally. Aloha . . . Stefan Ackerie is too busy with his boats to keep a Sydney pad.
Shanghai night field

Sydney artist Nafisa Naomi will be moving on from her Waterloo apartment.

As the market winds down to the end of the year, many agents are stitching up deals on properties before auction. At Zetland, the modern two-storey home of Di Henry, who was general manager of the Sydney 2000 Olympic Torch Relay, has sold for $985,000 – 10 days before it was scheduled for auction through BHR agents Reece Coleman and Daniel Baran. It’s a good result for the four-bedroom terrace in Hansard Street, which was listed with price hopes of more than $900,000.Brush with fame

A Waterloo apartment, which is the home of artist Nafisa Naomi, has sold for $647,000 – two days before it was to go to auction through Scott Aggett and Matt Bognar of Belle Property Surry Hills. During the marketing campaign three contracts were issued and the agents negotiated with two parties before sealing the deal with a first-home buyer from Bronte. A short walk from Danks Street’s shops, cafes and restaurants, the two-bedroom apartment is in a pet-friendly security building with a swimming pool and gym. Naomi, born in India, and educated in Hong Kong and Sydney, won the 2010 Archibald Packers’ Prize for her portrait of rock historian Glenn A. Baker. In 2003 her portrait of entertainer Maria Venuti was selected for the Archibald Salon des Refuses.Radio presenter’s news

At Balmain, the 2GB radio presenter Chris Smith and his wife Ally sold their home before its auction through Rebecca Fearon and Karl Howard of McGrath Balmain. Although the price of the Lawson Street house is not disclosed, it’s understood to have fetched more than $1.95 million, which is the price guide quoted by the agents during the marketing campaign. Named Woodroffe, the three-bedroom residence stands on a 300 sqm block that is footsteps from vibrant Darling Street. It last sold for $1.4 million in 2003. Chris Smith won a NSW government award for Excellence in Environmental Reporting for an expose on waste dumping.Snip offer from hairdresser

A Woolloomooloo apartment owned by the flamboyant Brisbane hairdressing mogul Stefan Ackerie is expected to sell for more than $800,000 at auction through Nic Krasnostein, a BresicWhitney agent. Earlier this year Queensland-based Ackerie paid $810,000 for the 73 sqm two-bedroom apartment (on the fifth floor of the Finger Wharf complex), which he intended to use when visiting Sydney. But since his foray into leisure-boat retailing with the opening of Stefan Boating World on the Gold Coast in November, Ackerie won’t spend much time in Sydney – so he’s decided to sell the apartment. A champion offshore powerboat racer, Ackerie has been part of the Australian boating scene for more than four decades. During the past 18 months he has been overseeing the development of the Razar Cat, a 4.1 metre boat that combines the best features of a jet-ski and an inflatable boat.No bids, so on the market

A Mosman property owned by Scott Barton, director of Blake Entertainment, is on the market at more than $2.8 million through McGrath Mosman agent John Welch. The Royalist Road residence was passed in at its auction after there were no bids. The four-bedroom house, an investment property of Barton’s, has been renovated since it last traded for $2,125,000 in 2007.

The original release of this article first appeared on the website of Shanghai Night Net. Read more »

杭州龙凤

Raymond’s nut allergy tragedy: system failed boy who died after eating biscuit, inquest told

Nut allergy … Raymond Cho died after eating a walnut biscuit at school.A 16-year-old boy with a nut allergy who died after eating a walnut biscuit at a Sydney school was tragically let down by the NSW education department systems meant to protect him, an inquest has heard.
Shanghai night field

Raymond Cho went into anaphylactic shock after he ate the biscuit baked by other students in a cooking class at Ashfield Boys’ High School on May 19, 2011.

He was taken to hospital, but died after he was taken off life support on May 24.

At the Glebe Coroner’s Court on Monday, State Coroner Mary Jerram was told the education department and staff were aware that Raymond suffered from anaphylaxis and asthma.

But other students shared the biscuits they had baked in a cooking class, the inquest heard.

Raymond fell ill later in a maths class and went into anaphylactic shock. He was was treated by the use of two epipens, which are used to quickly inject a dose of adrenaline.

Michael Fordham SC, representing the NSW Department of Education and Communities, read Raymond’s family an apology from the department’s director-general, Michele Bruniges.

“Dr Michele Bruniges … was deeply saddened when she learnt of Raymond’s tragic death. She wishes to unreservedly apologise on her own behalf and on behalf of the many people working in public education for the unimaginable hurt and anguish you and your family have suffered as a result of his loss,” the statement from Dr Bruniges said.

“It was believed prior to Raymond’s death that the department had in place proper systems to keep children with anaphylaxis safe, but this was wrong.

“These systems failed Raymond, the people at the school that day who tried to save him and yourselves.

“It will be small consolation to hear that the department has reviewed its systems and has made a number of significant changes since Raymond’s death.”

Those changes included compulsory training in anaphylaxis and emergency care for all school staff and a requirement that every school run CPR courses on an annual basis.

The department is also continuing to look at how it can improve safety and well-being of students with anaphylaxis.

“The director-general hopes that this inquest helps your family, and other families who have children with anaphylaxis, by identifying where things went wrong, examining what has been done to date in response and considering whether anything further can be done to reduce the chance of another tragedy like Raymond’s death occurring in the future.”

Raymond’s family are at the inquest, holding pictures of the schoolboy.

The inquest, which will look into the school’s policies and the use of epipens, continues.

The original release of this article first appeared on the website of Shanghai Night Net. Read more »

杭州龙凤